Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Christmas Vaca...New York Style

Last Tuesday my mom, sister, aunt and I left for New York to see the sights and the Christmas decor. We had a fabulous time in spite of the cold and rainy weather. First thing we did after checking into the Milford Plaza, was to take the subway to Chinatown.


We stopped a local asking for a good place to eat. I forget the name of the restaurant but it had some of the best Chinese food I have ever tasted. Next stop was Ground Zero.
I was expecting to see more than I saw but was amazed how everyone is so quiet around this area showing respect. Across the street is St. Paul's Chapel which served as a place of rest for the numerous volunteers working at Ground Zero after 911.


Next sight to see was Rockefeller Center. The Christmas tree was as pretty and as large as I had envisioned it being.

The rest of that evening was spent taking in Times Square.


On Wednesday the weather was better so we headed to Bryant Park then made our way to Macy's on 34th Street. The window displays were unbelievable. Inside Macy's was the Waterford Crystal Ball that is dropped from Times Square on New Year's Eve.


Along the way we saw the Empire State Building, New York Public Library, Chrysler Building, Grand Central Station. That evening we had tickets to see the Rockettes perform at Radio City Music Hall. It was a spectacular show. Unbelievable how perfectly in step the girls are at all times. We had 6th row seats so nothing was to be missed.


On Thursday, my sister & I headed out to 5th Ave for some shopping. I was overwhelmed by the number of stores but we somehow managed to go in quite a few and spend our money. As we were heading back to the hotel, we finally saw someone famous...the Naked Cowboy...up close and in his tidy whities!


That evening we headed back to Times Square.

Then Friday came and it was time to go home. :-( I really had a great time and enjoyed everything we did and saw. It is definately a place I would like to go again with a new list of things to see.

I can't remember all the places we ate but I didn't have anything that wasn't good. The bagels & pizza was quite yummy!

I have uploaded the majority of pictures to Snapfish if you are interested in viewing more than I posted. I placed captions on all the pics so you will know what you are looking at (make sure you have that feature turned on). You have to log in to Snapfish but getting an account is free and easy! Enjoy! :-)

2 comments:

Sandy said...

That sounds like the perfect Christmas NYC vacation...lots of shopping and Rockettes and food.

kristie said...

i'm so glad your mom wasn't there when you saw the naked cowboy thing...she would have just died.