Thursday, January 29, 2009

Book Review - Wicked

Just finished reading Wicked by Gregory Maguire and boy was it interesting. Definitely not the light hearted, chic-lit books I normally read. I wanted to read it because I'm hoping the Broadway play will eventually come to the area and wanted to be prepared by knowing what was going on. As I started the book, I was tempted many times to just give up. But then I got sucked in and had to keep reading. There were some confusing parts (at least to me) but fortunately a co-worker of mine had just read the book so I could ask him questions. The book is about the Wicked Witch of the West's life prior to meeting up with Dorothy and the gang in the Wizard of Oz. The author's take on her life growing up as a child, going off to school, and ending up as the Witch is very intriguing. A harder read than what I'm use to but it was worth it.

3 comments:

Pam said...

I started this one some time back and for some reason never finished it. I HAVE seen the Broadway show though and it is Fabulous. I've heard that the ending is different than it is in the book though but I can't confirm that since I never finished the book. I hope to sometime soon. So many books, so little time. ;)

Mrs.D said...

I also tried to read this one and just couldn't really get started. Glad you were able to make it through...now maybe I'll be inspired to give it another try.

Emily said...

Oh! Never heard of this one before.... I would like to give it a try!